Sunday, July 03, 2005

I Never Knew Magic Crazy As This

I was introduced to the music of Nick Drake by my friend Mark Judd around 1976 or so, thereby being part of the second wave of Drake discoverers, just missing him while he was alive and recording.

Subsequently, Nick Drake has been nearly forgotten and then rediscovered several times - the last that I am aware being when the song "Pink Moon" was used in a Volkswagen commercial!

As much as I dislike overtly commercial use of rock music, usually beyond the control of its creator, I was pleased that many more people became aware of Nick Drake as a result. My co-worker would never have heard him without this introduction, and she now loves his music.

And music to love it is. My favorite song is the ethereal "Northern Sky" featuring a sublimely creative harpischord and organ arrangement by John Cale and a melody to die for.

Perhaps I will write more later. Right now, I will just let the tune resonate in my head and go to bed.

No comments: